This Page

has been moved to new address

Couch Cover to Cute Pencil Skirt with Buckle Closure

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Couch Cover to Cute Pencil Skirt with Buckle Closure

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

3.15.2011

Couch Cover to Cute Pencil Skirt with Buckle Closure

Once upon a time (like 4 months ago) I had a couch.
It was an UGLY couch.
Well, at one time it was a pretty couch.
But it was a white couch.
I have kids.
Lots of them.
Not white for long.
It then became an ugly couch-and eventually a broken couch.
It always had to be covered.
I saved my pennies, bought a new couch for my Christmas present to myself and threw the old couch out the door.
I still had the covers, and instead of being wasteful, I decided to make me a skirt out of one.
You can't tell from the photo, but it's a yellow-ish suede kind of fabric.
Very soft and very washable (trust me-4 kids have tested it's wash-ability with everything they had).I cut that in half-so that the buckles were on one piece and the straps on the other.
I gave it a little extra room for (like 1/2 inch) for seam allowance.
Then I sewed it up the side...

I left the sides open so that I could make a closure for them.

I struggled with the button hole stitch the first time around, but since you can't see it, I didn't bother unpicking it.
...and TA DA!
So, I probably should have thrown it in the dryer for a minute or two, or sprayed it with some water and got those wrinkles out, but you can still see how cute it is right? :)
It's super soft, comfortable and the perfect below the knee length (which is hard for me to find since I have such long legs).
I LOVE it! So glad I didn't throw out the couch cover with the couch!
I still have a LOT of fabric left and another set of buckles-so I'm sure another clothing item is on the horizon from this couch cover. OH and I have a cream colored one too that I could make some stuff out of!
I may never need to shop for clothes again!
Ha ha ha!
Somewhere my husband is writing that down...

Current Sponsors:
Canvas People $25 off & Free Shipping on Any Size Canvas
Melissa & Doug Quality Educational Toys & Children's Products
Shabby Apple Dresses & Accessories for all Occasions
Tiny Prints Stylish, Modern & Unique Stationery
Glasses USA Smartest Way to buy Prescription Glasses
Your Ad Here! Click for Details

linking to Today's Creative Blog & some of these fun linky parties

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is a cute skirt!!! When I read the title I was thinkin', "What?!?" But it turned out awesome!!! :)

Tue Mar 15, 03:16:00 PM

 
Blogger L&M said...

Stinking adorable, Tiff! Love it!

Tue Mar 15, 04:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Very cute and very creative- I love that you did this.

Tue Mar 15, 04:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Okay, that is seriously impressive!

Tue Mar 15, 05:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

so cute Tiff!

Tue Mar 15, 05:25:00 PM

 
Blogger Amber Sheaves said...

You are so creatively clever!!! Your sewing machine must love you. I'm convinced mine hates me. It never wants to work right for me!

Tue Mar 15, 05:27:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME! I once made a skirt out of a dust ruffle, but this is so much cuter!

Tue Mar 15, 07:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Mamarazzi said...

so cute!! sorry i haven't been bye for a while. life has been happening making it nearly impossible to blog jog...though i kiiiinda doubt you noticed my absence. LOL

Tue Mar 15, 09:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

that's really clever of you!
cheers Fiona
http://lilyfieldlife.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 16, 03:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

That looks adorable and it fits you so well! I can honestly say I would have NEVER thought to make a skirt out of a couch cover, but I love the outcome :-)

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

Wed Mar 16, 06:48:00 AM

 
Blogger Anne Maskell said...

So cute and original!

Wed Mar 16, 08:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Woot Woot.......way cute Tiff!

Wed Mar 16, 01:33:00 PM

 
Blogger Michelle from Fun On A Dime said...

Way cute! You totally made my day seeing that you linked up to my Friday Brag Fest. Thank you!!!

Fri Mar 18, 01:18:00 PM

 
Blogger An Oasis in the Desert said...

Aren't you just the clever one? That is a darling skirt. I really like how you used the buckles. I'm a new follower visiting from the Fresh & Frugal Party. I'm a new follower and hope you might check out my blog & follow back if it looks interesting to you.
CAS

Fri Mar 18, 04:25:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great skirt.. thanks for linking up to our party. We hope you will come back next week!

Sun Mar 20, 09:46:00 AM

 
Blogger Cindy said...

Very cute skirt! What a great idea, to save the closures to use on it.
Hugs, Cindy

Mon Mar 21, 03:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Gwen said...

very cute!!

Mon Mar 21, 05:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Callie said...

Newly GFC following you (found you through the Follow Along Linky). I'm new to blogging and working on redecorating a condo from scattered-still-looks-like-college-hodgepodge-meets-man-cave and changing it into a cohesive home. One little bit of inspiration and small project at a time. My blog has all sorts of things that make me smile plus I'm cataloging my inspiration there as well. And once I've got a few before and after pictures, I'll be sharing my projects.

Love your blog--thank you for sharing your projects--I just love bloggyland for all the fabulous inspiration!

Tue Mar 22, 08:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Rosebuds and Ladybugs said...

So cute! I love the pics =)I am your new follower! I would love for you to stop by and share some of your favorite crafts, recipes, giveaways and more! I offer new link up's every Monday in the Link Up Lounge and the first blogger to link up from each category and the blogger who share the most links will be featured! =)

Thu Mar 24, 11:30:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

TIff, just wanted you to know you were featured at www.curlywillowdiy.blogspot.com today.

Thu Mar 24, 07:39:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home