This Page

has been moved to new address

Baby Nerd Shirt Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Baby Nerd Shirt Tutorial

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

3.29.2011

Baby Nerd Shirt Tutorial

While I was in Portland a couple weeks back, my mom surprised me with a bunch of onesies that she had put together for my little Oliver while she was making stuff for and with my sister for her new little one on its way.

My fave was this funny little nerd shirt-as I like to call it.
My mom has this thing for suspenders, as a kid it was kind of humiliating, I mean "parents just don't understand" and all of that right? She wanted me in suspenders while I just really wanted to wear boxers over my pants!
Well now I can see their appeal, especially on cute little babies.

Problem though, my mom made this bowtie out of fabric that she didn't pre-wash. When I washed it, the whole shirt was ruined and stained brown, plus the bowtie wrinkled up bad and wouldn't lay flat.
So I transferred the pieces over to a new shirt and sewed the bowtie completely down to the shirt on all sides so that it would stay put.
Cute huh?
I love him in it!
One more little problem though-he is rolling all over the place right now and those big buttons really bother him when he is on his tummy-so I will have to reserve that one for church...
...and I made him one that he can wear any day.
First you will need your supplies...which you probably already have laying around if you have a baby and if you craft or sew.
Onesie (with shoulder fold overs like this one)
Buttons (flat if you have a roller or tummy time kid)
Ribbon
Needle & Thread
First you will need to make a bowtie.Then you just attach it all to the shirt!
  1. To make it easier to sew on the bowtie, I sewed a small piece of ribbon onto the neck of the shirt (and I messed up on the numbering #4 should actually be #2) then I wrapped the bowtie in the small piece of ribbon and sewed it into the inside so that no thread shows on the front of the shirt.
  2. Sew down the edges of bowtie, especially if you made it out of fabric.
  3. For the suspenders-Fold over the ribbon and sew the button onto the fold, that way you don't have to worry about fraying or trying to get a clean edge.
  4. (see step #1)
  5. Sew the other end of the suspender ribbon under the shoulder piece on the onesie.
  6. Sew the button onto the shirt-really tight and secure, you don't want baby pulling it off and choking!
  7. Take picture of cute baby wearing his little nerd shirt.
Giggle when your baby makes this face and poses just like a little nerd! :)

Love it! Thanks for the inspiration mama!
Sharing this at Today's Creative Blog & These other FUN LINKY PARTIES

Current Sponsors:
Canvas People $25 off & Free Shipping on Any Size Canvas
Melissa & Doug Quality Educational Toys & Children's Products
Shabby Apple Dresses & Accessories for all Occasions
Tiny Prints Stylish, Modern & Unique Stationery
Glasses USA Smartest Way to buy Prescription Glasses
Your Ad Here! Click for Details

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

That is too cute!!!! I wish my boy was a baby again. This will definately be a baby gift project!!!

Tue Mar 29, 07:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Erica {B is for Boy} said...

This is so stinkin cute! I totally want to make one for my little guy! I was actually thinking the other day that it would be cute to do a faux suspender shirt for a boy... now I don't have to think too hard about it!

Tue Mar 29, 08:04:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That is adorable (just like your boy)! Thanks for sharing.

Tue Mar 29, 09:01:00 PM

 
Blogger Christine said...

That is so cute! I really need to learn to sew better!

Tue Mar 29, 09:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Really cute. However, probably safer if you sewed down the ribbon all the way down the shirt.

Wed Mar 30, 03:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Aaaaaah! I adore this. I need to go make one. Right, now. No joke, it's now the next project on my list.

And that little guy is just TOO cute! He sure knows how to work the camera.

Wed Mar 30, 07:02:00 AM

 
Blogger the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, that's the most adorable thing ever! and i like calling it a baby nerd shirt, too, lol.

Wed Mar 30, 08:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Tiffany said...

Oh his little poses are adorable!
I'm pretty sure this is next on my list of projects to make!!

Wed Mar 30, 09:04:00 AM

 
Blogger BSS said...

Thank you for putting up something for little boys-- tutorials for little boys seem to be far and few between! I've already made one for my son and it's adorable!

Thu Mar 31, 07:45:00 AM

 
Blogger Megan @ Cut the Craft! said...

This is quite possibly one of the cutest things I've ever seen! Definitely going to be making some!

Megan
www.CutTheCraft.com

Thu Mar 31, 08:04:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

one of my first sewing projects was this same idea but with a tie and applique style. Yeah this is way cute and simpler looking.

Thu Mar 31, 09:05:00 AM

 
Blogger  Justine said...

haha! This is adorable!

Just Better Together

Thu Mar 31, 03:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Rhinestone Beagle said...

Ok yeah, I like nerdy to begin with, but this is a whole new level of nerdy cute! I love a great homemade baby gift and this one is so added to my list! Thank you for linking at the beagle.

Sun Apr 03, 07:59:00 AM

 
Blogger gail@My Repurposed Life said...

thanks for sharing @ CCC Tiff. Your mom did a great job.
Look at that face!
"catching" this !!

Thu Apr 07, 06:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Very cute! Now I wish I had a little boy in my life to make these. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday at Ninth Street Notions. I can't wait to see what you have this next week.

Sun Apr 10, 06:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Treasures said...

This is such a cute outfit (not to mention the model!!!) love it! and love that its easy to make

Wed Apr 13, 03:28:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home