This Page

has been moved to new address

Burlap Stocking Advent Calender

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Burlap Stocking Advent Calender

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

11.09.2010

Burlap Stocking Advent Calender

Last year I made a burlap stocking advent calendar that I just LOVE! It turned out so darn cute and I can't wait to get it out and hang it up again this year.
My friend is doing a craft fair in a couple weeks and I thought I would make up a bunch and sell them there, and since that is what I am working on I thought I would share the tutorial that I shared last year, so that those of you who hadn't seen it, can see it now.
If you make one, I want to see it, they make me so happy! :)

First you will need a little more than a half yard of burlap.

I drew a stocking on a piece of paper and cut it out for a pattern. It is just a mini stocking, a little smaller than my hand.

I folded the burlap so that I could cut one whole stocking in one cut like this.Then I laid the stocking on the burlap and cut it out.
Then you will have something like this.

Then either by hand, machine (or glue gun for the non-sewer) stitch it up, leaving the top opened of course.It doesn't matter how good your sewing skills are, because you will just turn it inside out...It will turn out adorable...Then do that again 23 more times! It's not as bad as it sounds, it actually went by quite quickly.
Then if you want to embellish (and I think you do) choose some ribbon.
Use a glue gun and run a line of glue along the front of the stocking.
Then wrap your ribbon over and around your stocking and either make a loop, bow, or tie.

I did 6 of 4 different ribbons and styles...

...jingle bells
...knots
...buttons
and bows.
After the stockings were complete, I took my Fiskars circle punch and punched a bunch of brown circles.Then I inked the edges.Then I stamped numbers on the brown circles-you could use stickers, stamps or your own handwriting, my friend lent me these cute stamps and I don't know who makes them.
I found these at Michaels for about $3, and they are the exact size of the circle punch :).
Then I mod podged the number to the wooden circle.Then do a light coat over the top of the number, and let dry.On the back of the wooden circle, they are self adhesive-so handy!
Stick the circles to a wooden clothes pin.
I had to do the twenties on two circles...
Then I clipped the stocking to some jute, that I hung from the mantle.....and you're done!
Ready to fill with little treats, surprises, little slips of paper with activities or whatever!
Love it!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Tara @ Tara Being Tara said...

Oh my gosh - TOO CUTE!!!

Tue Nov 09, 01:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Katie@a mom, a wife, and a me said...

Perfect perfect perfect! I think my SIL needs this!

Tue Nov 09, 01:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Adorable. I love the process you used to make the number circles. They turned out really nice.

Tue Nov 09, 02:10:00 PM

 
Blogger The Chambers Family said...

How much do you charge:)

Tue Nov 09, 02:25:00 PM

 
Blogger So Sunny Day said...

SO SO SO CUTE!!!! I love them all in a row. oh and the line "Then if you want to embellish {and I think you do}" - super sweet. Of course we do! Thanks for sharing such a great idea

~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Tue Nov 09, 02:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Moore Minutes said...

OMGness I am in LOVE with these!! The entire design in perfect. I can't sew or anything like that at all. Would you sell them? I would like to buy some asap if you have some that you can sell....let me know! :) lisanchris at gmail dot com Thank you!

Tue Nov 09, 03:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Dale said...

Totally adorable!!! Love the detail!

Tue Nov 09, 07:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Cristie said...

I love the little burlap stockings! They look so happy all lined up.

Tue Nov 09, 08:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Carey C. Bailey said...

Those are too cute!

Tue Nov 09, 10:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Ami Allison said...

That is ADORABLE! I love it! I really love it!!! :)

Wed Nov 10, 07:34:00 AM

 
Blogger The homebodies said...

What a great idea! I love how it turned out! Advent calendars are so much fun for kids, and this is a neat way to make one. :D

-Rochelle @ http://homesweethomebodies.blogspot.com

Wed Nov 10, 08:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess said...

That is unbelievably cute and creative. And you made it look so polished! I am majorly impressed by anyone who can take on such an involved project (24 stockings -- wow!) and see it through to the end.

Thu Nov 11, 10:51:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This is much cuter and eye catching than the traditional Christmas stockings. I'll definitely give it a try! Maybe create some socks with office supplies?

Thu Nov 11, 01:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my! These are adorable!!!

Mon Nov 15, 11:37:00 AM

 
Blogger Clarissa Emily said...

Sweet mother of pearl!!! I think I gotsta make one of these! Too darn cute! :) I've been wanting to make an advent calendar, and this fit the bill! I will let you know when I make mine so you can see it. Thanks so much for the faboo idea! :D
~Clarissa @ A Little Stone House

Wed Nov 17, 11:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Clarissa Emily said...

I made mine! Come check it out here:
http://alittlestonehouse.blogspot.com/2010/12/stockings-were-hung.html

Thank you so much for sharing! :)
~Clarissa @ A Little Stone House

Wed Dec 01, 10:07:00 AM

 
Blogger Vicky said...

I have those as well. Little more expensive putting gifts in those, rather than a single chocolate. My daughter actually made requests to Danny the Elf (who she thinks filled the stockings every night). She also got up every single night at about 2 am to see if Danny had left anything in the stockings. I created a monster

Wed Feb 02, 01:22:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home