This Page

has been moved to new address

Toot Toot Tuesday-Desk Makeover

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Toot Toot Tuesday-Desk Makeover

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

6.01.2010

Toot Toot Tuesday-Desk Makeover

How was everyone's Memorial Day? We got some house and yard work done and then went and saw Shrek 4. Not my favorite of the series, but it was good, and the kids were entertained. Of course when you are pregnant and tired, I just don't think movies are as enjoyable as they usually are. Anyone else seen it?

Today I just wanted to share my desk makeover, and maybe inspire you if you have a similar piece of furniture that just needs a little pick-me-up.
This is the before, it is in my living room/dining room area since I don't have an office in this house and so everyone sees it when they come in our house. It's fine, but there is something about it that just drives me batty. Can you guess what it is?If you guessed it was those nasty frosted glass windows, you'd be right, it hides stuff a little, but not well enough, and lets face it, they are just ugly.Enter some of my trusty old scrapbook paper. This is a Rusty Pickle paper called Farmhouse Black, I'm not sure if you can find any of it anymore or not since they are going out of business and this print is a couple years old, but I'm sure you could find something similar out there. Anyway, I just measured the windows, cut the paper and lined up the pattern and then just used plain old scotch tape to attach it. Since these are no where near little hands, I wasn't worried about them being ripped off.
Here it is all taped on the glass with double stick tape. It's not permanent that way if frosted glass ever comes back in style, I'm all set! :) Or maybe I will want to change the paper out someday to match an office I have further on down the road. For right now though I love it!

Here are both sides done, it looks much better right? Well I still felt like since it was a focal point in my house, and I can't really change that, it needed some more sprucing up. I have all that glorious space on top to do something with. I went through some of my frames and took out any glass or pictures that may have been occupying the ones I chose and arranged them along the top. I painted a couple of them in either black or red to match my room and then added some matching things I had around the house. I went into the yard and cut some branches, and haven't decided if I need to paint them or not yet. Thoughts?I finally hung my family rules board I made forever ago, and am happy to have it out of my youngest ones reach. He took a Sharpie to it the other day and added his own special touches.
And here it is all done and ready to be shown off! It's like a whole other mantel on this side of the room, and it makes it more cohesive with everything else, rather than an unfortunate necessity that has to be put there. I would love to know what you think of it!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger LHadgis said...

I love it! Wish you lived near me so you could come over and teach me how to do this!

Tue Jun 01, 01:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest said...

I love it, especially the empty frames!

Tue Jun 01, 01:10:00 PM

 
Blogger elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Amazing! I really like the frame grouping and it's amazing what adding a litte scrapping paper can do.

Tue Jun 01, 01:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Morgan said...

Love it! You did a great job and it is definitely inspiring me to finish some house projects! :)

Tue Jun 01, 01:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I really want to see a close up shot of that mirror off to the right!

Tue Jun 01, 01:54:00 PM

 
Blogger springrose said...

at first I wasn't sure if I liked the paper choice, but once you put it all together I love it! Especially the frames of different sizes and colors! Love!!

Tue Jun 01, 02:50:00 PM

 
Blogger Crystal said...

I love how it turned out. The paper looks great. I also really love all of the frames on top.
-Crystal

Tue Jun 01, 02:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good idea!! everything look so neat, too!
I love the black/white/red! :)

Tue Jun 01, 03:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh I love, love, LOVE the finished product! Great ideas- very CUTE!!

Tue Jun 01, 04:05:00 PM

 
Blogger So Sunny Day said...

way cute! I love the arrangement you did on top with the frames :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Tue Jun 01, 04:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Rebecca@This Present Life said...

It looks great! Adding that scrapbook paper really made a HUGE difference! And I think I'd leave the branches as is. They add a nice natural element. It all looks great! You should be proud to show it off. My computer is also out in the open...you've inspired me to find a cuter way to "contain" it.

Tue Jun 01, 05:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

What a huge difference, I love the frames. I wouldn't worry about painting the branches, the other pieces make such a statement.

Tue Jun 01, 05:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

I absolutely LOVE those frames!

Tue Jun 01, 06:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Julie Fox said...

Awesome!

Wed Jun 02, 07:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Lost Soul said...

Beautiful, it looks all dressed up!

Wed Jun 02, 10:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Kerstin said...

I love the frames! I'm totally doing that in my office. I've been needing something and this is it!

Thanks

Wed Jun 02, 01:44:00 PM

 
Blogger Cathy Hutton said...

Would love to see what you have done as I am just about to embark on my sewing room/study, but for some reason the images aren't displaying. Any ideas why?

Thu Jun 03, 12:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for joining us for Anything Related! ~Bridgette

Thu Jun 03, 08:04:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home