This Page

has been moved to new address

Toot Toot Tuesday-Super Hero Dolls

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Toot Toot Tuesday-Super Hero Dolls

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

2.16.2010

Toot Toot Tuesday-Super Hero Dolls

***Still time to ask me a question for my Q&A and be entered for my little giveaway-just leave me a comment with a question in yesterdays posting, winners announced tomorrow...

My little girl loved her ballerina doll, but I really think my boys love their super hero dolls even more! These were a little more involved than the ballerina just because of the costume, but other than my sewing skills (ahem) they turned out really fun.

First I cut out a bunch of rectangles; 2 for the body, 2 for the legs, 2 for the arms, 2 for the sleeves, 2 for the "boots", 2 for the "over-under-wear", 2 for the belt loops, and 1 for the belt. Then I cut 2 cape shapes, 2 head shapes and the front and back of the hair.
Then on the boot and sleeve pieces, I folded over the top to make a seam and sewed a straight line across them all.
On the legs take the boot pieces and on the right side sew a straight line down from the point you want the boot to start on the leg. Do this on the arms as well, this will save you a lot of time and frustration when turning them right side out and with the stuffing process to make them as close to one piece as possible.
Then fold the leg over the boot and the arm over the sleeve like the picture below, so that the piece you just sewed is on the inside. Then sew the bottom of the hand and down the side leaving the bottom open. Sew the bottom of the boot and up the leg, leaving the top of the leg open.
Then turn them all right side out and you should have two arms with sleeves and two legs with "boots." Tip: make the arms and legs wide enough that it is not hard to turn out-you will be cursing if you make the arms too skinny...I'm just saying.
Next I took the head and felt pieces and sewed along the hair line. Something that I should have learned before, is that if you sew too close to the edge, when you sew the two pieces together you'll lose the hair line-so you might want to make a pretty fair seam allowance while doing this part.
Next I painted a simple face on.
Next I took some iron on letters from Heidi Swapp and ironed on a letter to the front of the body. On the first doll I decided to do some over-under-wear for lack of a better word. (I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are a much better seamstress than I, which wouldn't be hard.)
Then I sewed one of the rectangles under the l
etter, and did the same on the back of the body.
With the two belt loops and belt piece, I used an iron and pressed each piece into thirds like this. I didn't bother sewing these down.The reason is because I hand-sewed a button onto the belt piece...I was going to put like a lightning bolt on some sticker paper or cover the button with some fabric, but I kind of forgot-still my boys think they look like utility belts. So we're good.Then with the belt loops, I folded them over the belt and then hand-sewed those onto the belt. Then sewed the belt, just on the sides, to the body piece.I like that I didn't add the over-under-wear on my older boys doll, it was much easier, and I liked the way it turned out much better.Then I took my 2 pieces of cape material, sewed them right sides together except for the top and then turned them right side out. Then it was time to start putting it all together. Taking the face and the front of the body, I folded down the front of the body and sewed it to the face piece.Then I did the same thing with the back of the head and the back of the body, adding in the cape piece folded over the body piece.Then I put the two pieces together right sides facing, and sewed the around the head leaving the neck open. (I also left the shoulders open because that's where I filled the body at the end.) Then I turned it right side out and stuffed the head with batting.
Then I stuffed all the legs and arms while I was at it.
Next pin it all together, I folded up the over-under-wear to look like them, and I tell you...what a pain! It ended up just looking messy, fortunately this is for a 1 year old! I wrapped his cape up around his head while I sewed around the edges so that I wouldn't accidentally sew it into the doll...and I would have.Then using the holes I left for stuffing, I filled the doll with rice using a funnel, this just gives the doll so much more substance than more batting. Then I hand-sewed the holes up......and was done. My boys have been carrying them around non-stop-and have been "saving" the ballerina from all the bad guys. Success.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

"SEW" adorable..... it makes a girl with shaky skills want to try!

Tue Feb 16, 03:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

ahahaha, those are so stinkin cute!! I love the "T" guy's curl!!

Tue Feb 16, 05:20:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

These are just wonderful. My little guys would love one. Hope you don't mind, I'll be featuring you tomorrow on my "Wednesday's Wickedly Awsome". I try to feature some boy friendly crafts each week and this is perfect.

http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

Tue Feb 16, 06:00:00 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, those are so CUTE!!

Tue Feb 16, 06:18:00 AM

 
Blogger Sew Can Do said...

Love these. May have to make these for my boys (and my girl once she's big enough).

Tue Feb 16, 06:38:00 AM

 
Blogger Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

These are so cute!! My grandsons would flip over these.

Tue Feb 16, 08:07:00 AM

 
Blogger avisiontoremember said...

That is super cute! I would love for you to share that this Saturday on Check me out saturdays on my blog at www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Thanks for sharing :)

Tue Feb 16, 09:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those are just the cutest things ever. How clever of you! I am sure your kids just love them!!

Thanks so much for linking up. I love your blog!

XOXO
Jen

Tue Feb 16, 02:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Holly Lefevre said...

So cute! It is so funny everything take me longer to do now...because I have to stop and take photos of all the steps.

Tue Feb 16, 09:49:00 PM

 
Blogger DeeAnna said...

Thanks for the step-by-step! My boys would have loved those when they were little!

Tue Feb 23, 04:52:00 AM

 
Blogger Julie said...

Fun! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Tue Feb 23, 11:07:00 AM

 
Blogger Allison Shops said...

lol Too cute!

I followed you here from Met Monday - been a busy week! lol I hope you'll swing by AtticMag and tour my home; Alabama Stone Cottage Tour.

http://www.atticmag.com/2010/02/alabama-stone-cottage-house-tour/

Allison

Thu Feb 25, 07:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love these! I had personalized capes made for my boys for Christmas and would love to have a pair in their likeness! My hopes would be to eventually have them on my mantle as my keepsakes... I know in the present I would never, never get them away from my boys! Thanks for the awesome idea!

Sat Feb 27, 06:09:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home