This Page

has been moved to new address

Toot Toot Tuesday-Burlap, Fabric & Buttons Wreath

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Toot Toot Tuesday-Burlap, Fabric & Buttons Wreath

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

2.02.2010

Toot Toot Tuesday-Burlap, Fabric & Buttons Wreath

So I had planned all week to show you a cute way to make bracelets like my friends and I made back in high school, but after several failed attempts and a bunch of trips back to the store up until 10 pm last night-I gave up and decided I must have been much craftier as a teenager.

So I needed to put together a tutorial, I looked around the house, found some burlap, some red gingham and a floral wreath.
Okay, I could work with that.

This wreath was super easy, involved no sewing or gluing, and could literally take you about five minutes to create.
I took a little bit longer of course, because I can't do a five minute craft and think that it's done. I always have to do a bit more.
Let's get on with the tutorial shall we?

First I cut long strips of burlap, I think I ended up using 4 strips in all.
Then I just wrapped them around, overlapping the ends to keep them all on. This is the base of my wreath-simple yes?
But with such simplicity comes great responsibility, I mean creativity.

At the end of my wrappings I had the end of my strip that I needed to attach, but remember I said no glue right?Enter small strip of gingham tied around the burlap.I did this around the wreath spacing it out as I went.I could have been done there, hung it up, and went to bed, it's a cute wreath, I can change out the gingham for other fabric strips or ribbon with the different seasons or holidays, or whenever the mood strikes...but that just would be too easy for me!
I went to my craft closet, which is full of stuff I intend to use one day, but usually don't. Well I had these giant buttons that I made out of salt dough using a large glass for the circle, a smaller glass for the rim and a straw to poke the holes. I was going to make ornaments out of them...but got busy, forgot, or maybe I just lost interest.
So I painted up 5 of them in my favorite 3 colors.
I used another strip of gingham through the top hole and then I grabbed some yarn.
I laced the yarn around the wreath and through the button to attach it to the wreath-see no gluing-not that I'm against gluing, it just would have involved getting up off the rug and sitting near a plug to do it, and I was too involved watching Taken with my hubby. Then I just tied the yarn off in the back with a simple double knot and trimmed the edges like so...
And there you have it, buttons on my burlap wreath! It's very valentine-ish and looks pretty hanging on my shelf...but I think I will spray the buttons with some clear spray so that I can hang it out on my front door.
It is quite large, so I think it will make a big statement front and center.
...and I may need to add another black button, I have a thing about even numbers, and I know it will bug me every time I look at it. But other than that...what do you think?

***Edit: I have been asked by a couple people about the salt dough.
You can find lots of recipes online, but the one I usually use is 2 parts flour to 1 part salt and 1 part water. So if you use 2 cups of flour, use 1 cup of salt (fine) and 1 cup of water.
Knead it and either roll it out and cut it with cookie cutters (or in my case for the buttons-glasses and a straw) or you can hand mold it into anything you want.
Then you can either air dry it-which can take several days, or you can put it into a warm oven (200 F) for about 3-4 hours, less if your project is flat, more if it's large.

It's super easy to work with, and my kids love to make ornaments with it almost every year. We have also made hearts for valentines day, used a straw to make a hole, and gave them out as necklaces to my kids' friends. Easy, cheap and the kids get to do it all by themselves. :)

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I think it's cool!


It's also a good reminder to use what we have.... all kinds of cool treasures stored away!

Thanks!

Tue Feb 02, 02:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the idea of the salt cookie buttons. Do you have a recipe? I really like the wreath. I think the buttons look great with the burlap.

Tue Feb 02, 03:20:00 AM

 
Blogger Bird said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Especially the buttons!!

Do you have the recipe, please?

Can you use salt dough to make/sculpt anything?

I ama salt dogh virgin... :)

Tue Feb 02, 04:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

that is so adorable!!! I LOVE it, I heart gingham! It would be a really fun summer wreath too!

Tue Feb 02, 05:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

That is just too darn CUTE!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sarah

Tue Feb 02, 06:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Lindsay said...

I love when you can use stuff you already have! I wish I was more creative about that! Great job!

Tue Feb 02, 06:44:00 AM

 
Blogger A. Simpson said...

Gotta love you, Tiff. Love the addition to the banner. That wreath rocks my world.
P.s. Fell free to, you know-make another. My b-day's in May, LOL!

Tue Feb 02, 07:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Kaysi said...

I love it! Wow you are so creative, I would have never known what to do and it wouldn't have looked nearly as cute!

Tue Feb 02, 07:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Adorable! I love the buttons!

Tue Feb 02, 07:40:00 AM

 
Blogger So Sunny Day said...

I. AM. In. LOVE. That is seriousely one of the cutest ideas for a big wreath I have ever seen!

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Tue Feb 02, 12:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Jen@Because I can said...

Love it!I need to make some of those buttons now!
~Jennifer
http://becauseicancrafts.blogspot.com/

Tue Feb 02, 12:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Dena Pickle said...

Ahhh, that is just too cute and I love love love the big buttons!

Mon Feb 08, 12:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Cute wreath...love the large buttons!

Mon Feb 08, 03:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is so cute! I love the big buttons!!

Thanks for linking up!!

XOXO
Jen

Mon Feb 08, 03:25:00 PM

 
Blogger Lyndsey said...

I just made salt dough for my son and thought what could I make while he is making his snakes and worms - and this is perfect!! LOVE IT!!!

Mon Feb 08, 08:34:00 PM

 
Anonymous Mitzi Curi said...

I haven't made salt dough since I was a kid, and now you've got me all excited to whip some up this week! Your finished project is too cute. I have a thing for buttons! And I'm liking burlap more and more.....

Tue Feb 09, 03:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Florida Life said...

I linked to you! :)
http://kayladanelle.blogspot.com/2010/05/burlap-wreath.html

Wed May 19, 08:15:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home