This Page

has been moved to new address

Toot Toot Tuesday-Burlap Napkin Rings

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Toot Toot Tuesday-Burlap Napkin Rings

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

1.12.2010

Toot Toot Tuesday-Burlap Napkin Rings

I love to use cloth napkins, they make a meal feel fancier, they are better for the environment, and they can just be plain cute!
Well what is a cloth napkin without a cute napkin ring?
My friend (who uses cloth napkins at every meal) made some cloth napkins and rings to match last year, and I have been wanting to make my own version ever since.
You could make these with any fabric, but I chose burlap because I could dress it up or down pretty easy depending on the meal.
Believe it or not, to make these you start out with a cardboard tube...you probably don't want to use a paper towel roll, you want something with some substance...like a a tin foil tube.Then you are just going to take a sharp knife and cut it into somewhat equal pieces (you can measure and mark it if you want). I found that the serrated knife I started with tore the card board a bit, so I ended up using sharp fillet knife after the first couple and it went lots faster and smoother.I decided to make six for now, you can tell I didn't measure or really care if they were all that straight, they turned out just fine! Next cut a strip of burlap (or fabric) wide enough that both sides of the fabric will go over the edges of the rings. I just used one long strip for the whole set, and then cut it as I was done with each one.Then you just fold over the edges and hot glue them inside your ring.I then folded the fabric just a bit about a 1/3 of the way around the ring, folded in the edges and put some more hot glue inside, so that it gave it kind of a "pleat."
Then for the end, I cut the strip, folded the edges under, hot glued it to the tube, and glued the remaining edges inside.
This way you can't tell where the beginning and end are, it just looks pleated all the way around.
Here are my finished set on my napkins put in a basket in the middle of my table, ready to be used for dinner tonight (it's my oldest's birthday tonight, and we will be having her favorite...mac & cheese...at least the table will feel fancy!).
You can also embellish these with ribbon, buttons, flowers, monogrammed wood tiles attached to jute or ribbon...anything!
I kept mine plain, but can easily add some ribbon to match my table scape if I wanted.
These along with some napkins (and maybe some coasters) would make a great gift for a girlfriend, sister, mom, aunt etc... for her birthday, a hostess gift, mothers day or just a "happy day" present.
Or just whip up a bunch for yourself and make dinner something special every night.
If you make some, I want to see them!

I shared these at A Soft Place to Land & Today's Creative Blog today....

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

So easy, so simple... but SO CUTE! I love it w/the burlap and ribbon!

Tue Jan 12, 06:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Bird said...

Tiff,

You come up with such good ideas! Why didn't I think of that before?? :)

Maybe because I never used burlap...GASP, you say!!! Maybe now I will have to start!

Thanks for sharing

Tue Jan 12, 06:10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Shannon @ Quarry Orchard said...

I LOVE THEM!! Every time I use up a roll of paper towels or TP, I think "Surely there is something I can make with this...." I've been in the thinking mode for a while over this. And... I am in love with burlap.

Tue Jan 12, 06:21:00 AM

 
Blogger Remodelaholic said...

I love this! Way to recycle, and it is somethign we all have!

Thanks

Tue Jan 12, 07:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Remodelaholic said...

I love this! Way to recycle, and it is somethign we all have!

Thanks

Tue Jan 12, 07:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Those came out so cute! I never would have thought to do that. I find myself saying that a lot lately! lol

Tue Jan 12, 07:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

So cute! I may have to make some of these with my leftover burlap from the wreath I'm making today. Now I just need to get some real cloth napkins, too... :)

Tue Jan 12, 07:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Lisa C said...

What a great idea, and great way to repurpose a paper towel roll! And I must say, I like that basket you put your napkins into...that looks like a great idea, too!

Tue Jan 12, 11:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute idea! I love it with the little ribbon wrapped around it!

Tue Jan 12, 08:22:00 PM

 
Anonymous Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds said...

What a great idea, I love it! I never liked the idea of paying $4 or $5 for a single napkin ring. This is totally cute for practically free!

Thu Jan 14, 12:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Sheri said...

Cute, simple, and inexpensive -- everything on my list! Thanks for sharing! I've posted a link for this one on childmade.com.

Mon Jan 18, 07:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Mandy said...

Very cute! And so environmentally friendly to use cloth napkins. I keep meaning to, but haven't yet...you rock!

Tue Jan 26, 07:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Its So Very Cheri said...

Those are really cute too.

Cheri

Sun Jan 31, 03:56:00 PM

 
Blogger staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

ok..these are too cute. I am actually finding excuses to use our foil so I can get to the roll! :)

Fri Aug 13, 05:32:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home