This Page

has been moved to new address

My heart stopped...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: My heart stopped...

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.


My heart stopped...

Today I had the most terrible experience.
It was seriously awful and I have gone back and forth on if I should even post about it, because I am really shook up about it.
Then again, I don't want to have to tell the story more than I have to, so here goes.
I want to warn you that this is not a pleasant, haha kind of moment like what I usually post, if you don't want to have nightmares, you might not want to read on, I am seriously shaking still and this happened like ten hours ago.
I wanted to warn you, because I may never sleep again.

Today I was in one room in my mom's house working on some really cute finger puppets for a Halloween party, and my kids were scattered around playing in different parts of the house.
Two rooms away, I heard something break quietly, like a piece of wood splitting and a little whimper and I thought Topher had been climbing on my mom's china cabinet and broke something, but it didn't sound loud, and I'm surprised I even heard it.
I got up prepared to yell at him when I saw him dangling from a blind cord kicking his legs trying to get back into a window sill.
His eyes were rolling up and he was tugging with his hands.
My heart stopped.
I don't know how I even moved.
But I did, and I got there fast.
I picked him up so that it wasn't strangling him anymore, and had to put him back in the window sill to get the cord back off his neck.
He was breathing, but just lay there limp in my arms with his eyes looking super lethargic for what seemed like forever.
I sobbed and tried to get him to give me some kind of reaction, and finally he started to cry too.
It was the most terrifying experience I can even imagine, and the image of him hanging there will forever haunt me, it seems so surreal now, because he is running around and playing happily like nothing happened.
The only proof is the small scratches and slight red line around his neck and a small splinter of wood that I will forever be grateful for.
I am so glad to have heard that small little crack that saved my baby's life today.
I don't know how many times we have told him to quit playing in the blind cords, he's big enough to climb up and unwind them from wherever we put them.
Chad is cutting all of ours off tonight, I never want to see a blind cord low enough for them to reach again.
I want to put all my kids in a rubber room and keep them safe from everything and I know that's not possible, I am just so grateful that it ended up the way it did, because it could have been so much worse.
Hug your babies extra tight tonight, and cut your blind cords extra short okay?
Because that was absolutely terrifying.


Blogger Noni said...

Tiffany I am sooo sorry. That is awful! I am so glad that kids can bounce back so quickly. Unfortunately what a terrible memory to have. BTW, I'm Carissa's sister she got me hooked on your site a while back!

Tue Oct 27, 09:44:00 PM

Blogger Jason Young said...

Oh Tiff! I just got lots of chills all over. Thank you for posting this. It very well could have saved other babies lives as us moms get out our scissors to cut the cords!


Tue Oct 27, 10:43:00 PM

Blogger suzanne said...

Oh my gosh! I'm just gasping for air.........that's the worst story I may have ever heard. Thank goodness for the tender mercies of the Lord that allowed you to hear that small, seemingly insignificant were all truly blessed tonight! Lots of gratitude prayers tonight!

Tue Oct 27, 10:59:00 PM

Blogger Eric & Penny Kunz Family said...

Thanks for the reminder. Our cousin lost their sweet baby this way. So thankful you were listening. Will give hugs.

Tue Oct 27, 11:48:00 PM

Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for sharing this, I know it couldn't be easy to write. I am so glad your son is okay, and you may have saved one or more little one with this story.

Wed Oct 28, 04:28:00 AM

Blogger Kimmy C said...

I am so glad Topher is OK.

Better than cutting the cords - through all of your mini-blinds away - go to JCP and purchase their cordless shades. That is what we have done for all of our windows. They always have them on sale for 50% off. Yes, they are more expensive than mini-blinds, but it could save your little ones life.

Wed Oct 28, 06:10:00 AM

Blogger Goodman Family said...

So sorry! I always remember Penny's cousin when I think about cords. Glad his sweet momma was near!

Wed Oct 28, 06:51:00 AM

Blogger Sara said...

I don't think I took one breath the whole time I was reading that! I am glad everything is alright, it's so scary how fast things can change, yikes!

Wed Oct 28, 09:40:00 AM

Blogger Haley and Jon said...

I am so glad you hear him! I am sorry, that had to have been awful to see. Thanks for posting it, it is a good reminder to cut blind cords and respond when we feel that little prompting.

Wed Oct 28, 10:49:00 AM

Blogger Jessie O said...

wow, thank you. We all could use a reminder and tip.I am glad he is okay.

Wed Oct 28, 10:58:00 AM

Blogger Sara said...

Tiff, you are a wonderful mother. I know the Lord is watching out for you and those you love most. Big squeeze.

Wed Oct 28, 01:26:00 PM

Blogger THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

That is so sad Tiffany. I am glad you posted that, even though it was probably hard and a difficult memory to relive, but you may have saved lives by making others aware. Hang in there.

Thu Oct 29, 08:35:00 AM

Blogger Lisa - edenwild said...

Tiffany, I was sobbing as I read this. I could see it happening in my head. To think what could have happened! I'm still crying. I'm so glad you heard him!

I am always thinking about the cords in our house. Most of them don't have the loops and are supposed to be "safer" but it still scares me. He can't reach any yet, but I'm definitely going to take some preventative measures with those.


Thu Oct 29, 01:57:00 PM

Blogger Katie said...

Ugh, I am sick to my stomach! How blessed that you heard him! Oh, big hugs to one lucky boy, and his super hero mom!

Thu Oct 29, 06:29:00 PM

Blogger sarawhat said...

Tiffany, I hope it's ok...but I added a link to this post from my blog. Your experience must have been horrifying (my eyes started watering just reading it) but all your commenters are right, it could save other kids lives. People need to read this and be so so so aware of how dangerous those cords can be. So thank you for sharing this and helping us all be more aware of the things that seem so simple that can be so dangerous.

Fri Oct 30, 02:07:00 PM

Blogger Marci said...

how scary. thank goodness your little one is alright. I put a nail or tack on the inside of the window frame (where it's wood and not metal) when i pull the blinds open, i loop the cord around the nail and outta the way. thank you for posting your experience.

Fri Oct 30, 09:18:00 PM

Blogger A. Simpson said...


Mon Nov 02, 07:14:00 AM

Blogger Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Holy Freaking.

I'm so sick.

I just talked to my sister for pete's sake who told me about this post.. I was all huh? I just talked to her..

I'm so glad he's okay... the stinker. Wow.

Plus my sister is totally drooling over the nativity set.. but she can't find stickers to use???

She loves your site btw. :)

Wed Nov 04, 06:50:00 PM

Blogger Wes and Dani said...

That is awful! Do you know there are blind cords you can get that are made so the plastic piece at the bottom splits in half if you tug on them? It is for the sole purpose of keeping kids from hanging themselves on them. Maybe you should look into those!

I was so sorry to read this post! How scary that must've been! Glad your little boy is okay!

Mon Nov 16, 09:16:00 AM


Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home