This Page

has been moved to new address

Friendly Friday-Adventures in Creating

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Friendly Friday-Adventures in Creating

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

4.15.2011

Friendly Friday-Adventures in Creating

Woo Hoo! Friday time, another new friend! :) The incredibly talented Rochelle from Adventures in Creating joins us today, and she made the cutest little thing for her son...well I'll let her show you!

So I was thinking about that scroll saw wasting away in the shed and thought I should do something with it. But what?? Well after some research I saw this super cute Elephant Bookcase on Design Public. I wondered if I could make something like it with the scroll saw for Con-Man.
I don't know if Con-Man likes Elephants or not, but I know he loves Gracie, she's a dog, so maybe he likes dogs? After some thought I though a wiener dog might make cute bookcase.

If you think you'd like to make one of your own you'll need:

1 piece of Pine Board 7" tall (Try to look at a few and find one that is not warped and has few knots)
A scroll saw or jig saw with a fine blade
Wood Glue
Sand Paper
Paint and Pencil

I sketched an image of a wiener dog to the size I needed- approximately 7" tall by 12" long. Then I traced out the shape on a piece of wood. (Download the Dog Templates to trace here: Dog Bookcase Templates )

My saw can't handle wood much larger than 1" so I traced the dog template 3 times then cut each out with the saw.


Once I had my 3 shaped cut out I glued them together with the wood glue and set it under some heavy books overnight to dry.

Ta da! I then sanded it down with the attachment on the saw to smooth out the edges. (It didn't dry perfectly straight and since its my first time using a scroll saw I had some jaggedy edges..) If you don't have a power sander sanding by hand will work just fine but may take a little longer.

Using some leftover paint I painted and sealed the bookcase. Check out the finished product in Con-Man's room:


The wood was only $5 and this didn't take a incredibly long time, I just had to spread it out over a couple of days because of work and taking care of Con-Man. And getting the hang of the scroll saw wasn't that bad either. You can tell which was my first and last cut out. It might be fun to try some other shapes- a dinosaur, snail, strawberry. I'd love to see what other people come up with!


Current Sponsors:
Tiny Prints Stylish, Modern & Unique Stationary
Glasses USA Smartest Way to buy Prescription Glasses
Stamp Crazy Lady Stampin' Up & Handmade Gifts
Pumpernickel Buttons Photography Southern Oregon Photographer
Your Ad Here! Click for Details


The ideas, and opinions expressed on Friendly Friday do not necessarily reflect the owner of this blog. Friendly Friday is a day where new blog friends are invited to share a post of something they think makes the world a cuter place. If you are interested in participating in Friendly Friday, please send a post in html format to tiff@makingtheworldcuter.com, with the subject Friendly Friday. Thanks! And keep it cute! :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger emilysnan said...

hiya tiffany , thanks so much for sharing this , the tutorial makes it look so easy and might give it a try , my granddaughter would love it and i can see some decoupage happening too x tfs
xmaggiex

Fri Apr 15, 05:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Sarakenobi said...

i LOVE my scroll saw so much! We are addicted to peg people here, and now with the scroll saw and band saw I have we've been making wooden animals and vehicles for the peg guys to play with! i LOVE these bookshelves so much, I can't wait to try them next!

Fri Apr 15, 07:47:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

LOVE THIS!!! Adding it to my things to try sidebar! :) Especially love the weinie dog! :)

Fri Apr 15, 09:08:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for featuring my Doggy Bookcase!

Sun Apr 17, 06:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I wish I could use a saw...or a hammer! :)

Featured this today over at Today's Top 20!

Amanda
www.todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Mon Apr 18, 06:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home