This Page

has been moved to new address

Toot Toot Tuesday-Double Duty Desk/Sweet Shoppe

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Toot Toot Tuesday-Double Duty Desk/Sweet Shoppe

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

7.22.2010

Toot Toot Tuesday-Double Duty Desk/Sweet Shoppe

I know this is a couple days late, I've had doctors appointments, meetings and just plain computer laziness issues the past few days!

I would much rather be sitting by the pool drinking raspberry lemonade with my swollen pregnant feet up then sitting in the house these days...but then I remember I don't have a pool, and I have to take my kids with me when we go to one...which means a whole lot of not sitting with my feet up, being served drinks by a cabana boy.

Darn it.

Anyways...

This was a fun little project that I actually got done while my 2 year old was napping, and I killed 2 birds with one stone...not literally, I am not much of an animal killer unless it is an insect or rodent in my house-but that doesn't count right? My logic is, if it comes inside the house or is crawling on me or my kids bodies it wants to die. It really, truly does not want to live any longer. Otherwise I tend to leave all living things alone.

Wow, I really am going off on some tangents today, maybe I shouldn't stay away from my computer so long after all...

Back on track.

We have this desk that has been seriously abused by my children. I am fine with that, it is their desk. We took out the bottom cupboard and shelf so that it could be used for their computer, but then I decided they didn't need a computer-so for quite some time it has just been an empty hole. Not a pretty picture.

Speaking of not a pretty picture, they color, paint and stab the top of it on a daily basis. There is only so much a magic eraser can do children!
In comes the easy, time saving, no paint fume method of covering up that problem...Shelf Paper! I always have a bunch on hand since I use it instead of vinyl for my Cricut-time saver and money saver-got to love it!
I just stick it on there, add a few heavy duty staples around the edges to be sure the kids can't pull it off in the first day I give it back to them and Voila! Desktop recovered!This drawer for the keyboard has some issues, we picked this desk up off the side of the road, and whoever had it before thought that the little paper clip holder was an ash tray. Silly people. Don't worry it's been bleached and cleaned long ago! I thought about getting rid of it all together since they don't have a computer anymore, but my daughter likes to have her books on it and then pull it out-so I kept it.And slapped some more shelf paper on there just to hold it together and cover up the burn marks.
Then used the product for what it was actually intended for...Mind you I could have scraped this all down, painted it super cute, maybe added a curtain or a cupboard door-but this is a desk that is bound to be abused over the next few years-I just want it to be usable.
Last but not least, I had my hubs cut a couple boards to use as shelves and nailed those babies in. Desk complete...
...Until you look at the back. Yikes! Not that anyone ever saw the back-but I had a plan!
First I measured the back, had my hubby cut a piece of wood that would fit it, I nailed that to the back and painted it with chalkboard paint. Then I cut a thin strip of wood and nailed that along the top to give it a more finished look. Then came the fun part. I painted that piece of wood green, and painted a white swoop across the top.
Then I cut a bunch of triangles out of some colorful scrap paper...
Raided my stash of 12" border stickers from my scrapbooking days (I think these are from an old Stamp it up line)....
Then I just went to town and decorated it, mod podging everything down as I went. I was trying to keep it gender neutral, but it still ended up looking girly. Oh well. Using my paint marker and some cardboard letters I added this little sign across the top...

...and surprised the kids with a little Sweet Shoppe/Lemonade Stand that they can use this summer!
The best part is, I don't have to worry about storing it! It is already in their schoolroom as a desk, and when it is against the wall, you wouldn't know it was anything but the desk-they can also use it in the house while playing store. Plus it took me less than a couple hours to fix up the desk and make it into something completely new.

Now where is that cabana boy, I could use a foot rub, after he brings me a big drink with an umbrella in it!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Perkes Family said...

I love the idea of making the back a chalk board!! How fun!

Thu Jul 22, 01:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Hi Tiff :) I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/lemonade-stand-from-an-old-desk/

If you would like a "featured by" button, let me know ;)

Sat Jul 24, 06:04:00 AM

 
Blogger Practically Spent said...

Genius...turning the desk around. It's stuff like this that gets me every time. Super cute.

Sat Jul 24, 07:17:00 AM

 
Blogger LaurieStar said...

Super cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sat Jul 24, 06:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

the desk is super cute. i love the chalkboard idea on the back. genius idea to use shelf liner to clean it up instead of painting it - love that idea.

Sat Jul 24, 06:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Katie said...

I LOVE the flags!

Sun Jul 25, 08:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Cute and clever and so much fun! You did a great job with this, and your kids will remember when they are older. Love this.

Mon Jul 26, 08:33:00 AM

 
Blogger Nori said...

that is the cutest lemonade stand ever!!! (and the cute kids behind it totally increase the cuteness factor) :o)

Tue Jul 27, 08:24:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home