This Page

has been moved to new address

Tutorial-School House Chairs that Rock!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Tutorial-School House Chairs that Rock!

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

5.19.2010

Tutorial-School House Chairs that Rock!

I picked up these sad, but cool school chairs off of the side of the road one day and they stayed in my garage for months waiting to be given a makeover. They were used as spray painting benches for my husband and daughters project which is why they are red and white...
Finally I got it together and went to work!
First we spray painted them white.
Then we took off all of the seat and the bottom wood piece-and used spray adhesive to put pieces of foam (cut to fit) on them. I used two pieces of foam for the seat to give it more "cush."For the seat; I just measured the fabric a bit bigger than I would need to cover the top and sides and then I folded it over the wood and tacked it on to the seat. Then using hot glue I made sure that fabric wasn't going anywhere when we put the screws back through the chair that held the seat on. The top slat of the back of the chair wouldn't come off, so I made a little slip cover for it...like this...Then I put the longer piece in the front of the chair and pulled it up in the back and secured it with velcro for now, until I get the urge to put some buttons on it-but I'm in no hurry. The bottom slat did come off and I was going to make a sleeve for it before I put it back on, but it was much easier to just sew a rectangle in the right size and put a few buttons on the back so that it can easily be removed if I ever decide to change the fabric or wash it. Here is a side view of one of the finished chairs......and a top view.And here they both are in their little home as a sitting nook in my living room. They add a splash of color to my little black and white world and I love them! These chairs were originally posted on a blog swap with Its So Very Cheri in November 2009.
BWS tips    button

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

soooo cute! Why cant I ever find stuff like that on the side of the road?

Wed May 19, 11:50:00 AM

 
Blogger Judy Whatilivefor said...

Those turned out so cute! I love the splash of color they add.
I recently had a chair makeover of my own, though I don't think it turned out nearly as cute as yours. I think these chairs were my inspiration way back when you initially posted it. I had never thought about how easy it would be to redo a chair!

Wed May 19, 12:15:00 PM

 
Blogger A Life Less Complicated said...

I love it - I sometimes see chairs that are structurally sound but ugly - didn't think to recover!

Wed May 19, 04:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Chris and Marissa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed May 19, 05:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Chris and Marissa said...

The cutest chairs I have ever seen! Congrats on a job well done!

Wed May 19, 05:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Practically Spent said...

Aww ~ they're darling now....and happy too!

Thu May 20, 07:18:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home