This Page

has been moved to new address

Toot Toot Tuesday-Ballerina Doll

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Toot Toot Tuesday-Ballerina Doll

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

2.09.2010

Toot Toot Tuesday-Ballerina Doll

I like to make things for my kids for Valentines day, usually little toys. My mom always made a big deal about the holiday for us, and I remember coming home from school to find a little jewelry box or a box of candy or something every year. My hubby is all over buying the candy, and this year HE is making the girls bracelets and necklaces, I can't wait to see how they turn out!
Last year I made Bekah a funny little felt doll, and Christopher a little Love Machine Robot. They absolutely love them still, and I thought I would do something similar again this year.
So I made Bekah a funny little ballerina, and I am making the boys super-hero dolls.
I figured out a few things while making the ballerina that I will do differently on the boys dolls, these are easy to make and don't require a pattern-which is my kind of sewing project-don't look too closely at my sewing skills-as I am seriously lacking in them! :)

First cut two long even strips of fabric that you want to use for the legs, make sure you cut them wide enough that when you fold them in half you are happy with the width of the leg. Since I was making a ballerina I decided her legs would be bare.
Cut shorter rectangles for the arms. And then cut out two pieces for the head-just slightly bigger than you want it for seam allowances. I ended up cutting this into two pieces, it was just easier for me to make sure the two pieces were somewhat equal.
Next cut out two shapes similar to this for the body in the fabric of your choice.
Now onto the sewing part. Stitch around the legs and arms down one long side and one short side, leaving one short side open.
Then turn them all inside out.Next using some felt scraps, cut out some hair for your doll the size of the head, the third circle is going to be a bun for the back of her hair.
Then, don't be lazy like me and change your thread color to something a little more appropriate and sew your hair onto the head following the lines.
To make the bun, I made a simple yo-yo (just using a thread and needle sew all the way around the circle and then pull the ends together to scrunch it). Then I sewed her bun and a piece of ribbon on the head piece.
Now this is where I will change my methods next time! I put the two right sides of the head together and sewed them together which is great-but I would have first attached the two pieces to the body and then made them one larger piece. Does that make sense? That way you won't have a seam between the head and the body like you will see that mine will.
Then using much better skills than me, paint a face that doesn't look like a clown, unless you are making a clown doll-then call me, I've got ya covered! I smeared the nose so I ended up having to cover it with the closest paint I had to the fabric. I will just tell my daughter she is wearing stage make-up. I was being authentic!
Now the stuffing will commence! Using your favorite High School Musical pencil stuff the arms, legs and head with batting.
Before you sew the body together, embellish with whatever you want to embellish with, buttons, yo-yo-s, appliques, paint-whatever...
Then fold over (and press if you are smarter than me) and pin the appendages to the body pieces where you want them.
When you have your voodoo doll to this point it is time to sew it together.
I used a decorative stitch, but once again this is another place where I would have done things differently. I would have sewed it all right sides together except for the leg part, and then turned it inside out and did the pinning of the legs leaving a little hole in the bottom corner for stuffing the body.
I filled the doll with rice, and a little bit of batting at the top, this way she can sit up a bit, and it gives her a little more weight. Here is the headless doll, if you followed my advice, you would not have a headless doll, you would be done, but if not and you are following my pictures instead, then you will now need to attach the head to the doll by sticking some of it into the body and sewing across. The problem with doing it this way, is the doll now has a somewhat floppy head, and it is difficult to sew when both pieces are already stuffed.
Next I made a miniature tutu with a piece of elastic, strips of tulle and ribbon and a bunch of knots.
Here is the back of the doll, she is doing the splits to show off her flexible nature. she would also like you to notice her cute little bun .
Now apart from her face, she is not too bad, luckily she is for my daughter who happens to not be afraid of clowns. So that is a good thing! Bekah will be thrilled to have a little ballerina doll made by mom, and that is really what matters. Now off to make the boys!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

This is so cute! I love it!

Tue Feb 09, 05:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Alecia said...

What a cute doll! And what a lucky girl, to have a creative mom like you! I can't wait to see your son's doll!

Tue Feb 09, 06:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Bird said...

Tiff,

I have recntly made a doll for my little girl from scratc, without a pattern, but I made it up just like yours!!!

Though your ballerina tutu is a stroke of geniius!! Love it!!

Tue Feb 09, 06:07:00 AM

 
Blogger Paloma said...

Beautiful! the cutest gift! especially because it was made by mommy with love!

Tue Feb 09, 06:37:00 AM

 
Blogger seven thirty three said...

Make sure to post your Superhero dolls! My little guy would love one and I want to see your twist on it. :)

Kim
733blog.blogspot.com

Tue Feb 09, 06:38:00 AM

 
Blogger Crystal said...

She is so cute! I think I need to make my girls one.

-Crystal

Tue Feb 09, 06:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

Ohh emm gee! I LOVE it! I want to go home right now and raid my fabric bin and make one for my little ballerina! Thank you so much!

Tue Feb 09, 06:52:00 AM

 
Blogger Just Rhonda said...

okay how stinking cute!

Tue Feb 09, 06:59:00 AM

 
Blogger Kaysi said...

That is super cute!! What a great tradition you have. Maybe next year I'll try to make things for my boys
-Kaysi

Tue Feb 09, 07:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Tasha said...

Darling! Seriously. I love Valentine's Day because I really feel like it is the homemade holiday, and I love it! This is fabulous. I am sure she is going to LOVE it.

Tue Feb 09, 07:19:00 AM

 
Blogger Keli said...

That is so cute. I don't think i am good enough yet to make a doll! One day maybe!

Tue Feb 09, 04:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Ramsey said...

Cute Cute Cute!!!I love this. You are so original and your blog is precious and so down to earth. I also checked out your photography blog (because I'm totally getting into photography) and you are awesome!!!
Lots of Love,
Ramsey

Tue Feb 09, 05:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

No way, that is too adorable!!! Thanks so much for sharing with us.
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Tue Feb 09, 06:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Michelle @ In Sew Motion said...

This ballerina is so adorable!!!! Thanks for the tute.

Tue Feb 09, 07:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Lindsay said...

I made a rag doll for my daughter, but I never finished it. She is naked and her yarn hair is just hanging there... You just upped my list of things to finish! Yours turned out nicely- I wish I would have done fabric hair instead! (I was trying to make it like Laura's doll in Little House on the Prarie because we were reading that.)

Wed Feb 10, 05:19:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great tutorial!! I made one of these today for my youngest. I had to do it from memory though, because it was a whim and I didn't want to go upstairs and get my laptop haha! I'll post a picture on my blog tonight :)

Thu Feb 11, 03:32:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home