This Page

has been moved to new address

Toot Toot Tuesday-Tutorial: Tile Coasters

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Toot Toot Tuesday-Tutorial: Tile Coasters

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

11.17.2009

Toot Toot Tuesday-Tutorial: Tile Coasters

Welcome to Toot Toot Tuesday!
Today we will be making some basic tile coasters, one of my favorite gifts to make, especially for grandmas!
First you take your tiles-these are the 4x4 variety that you can get at Home Depot for less than 20 cents a piece. Bargain!!!Then you will need to gather the rest of your supplies...
-Mod Podge
-Foam Brush
-Clear Spray Paint
-Scrapbook Paper
-Felt
-Not pictured: Hot glue gun-or other strong adhesive, Scissors
-Optional: Paint, paper trimmer, punches, stickers etc...
First you will cut your paper to the desired size and using mod podge, adhere it to the tile.
Then using the mod podge apply a thin layer over the top, making sure to smooth the paper as you go, so you don't have wrinkles.
Layer some more paper or stickers if desired following the above two steps, making sure that the paper is just how you want it and stuck on there good! Next take your tiles outside or in your garage or other well ventilated area and spray with the clear spray to seal in your little works of art. Allow to dry completely and do another coat if desired.
Next step is to make the tiles soft on the bottom. To do this, you just need a square of felt and a hot glue gun.
Put the glue on the bottom of the tile.I found the easiest way to get the felt completely covering the bottom is to glue the tile to the felt before I cut it, also it helps to keep an assembly line going with the hot glue gun-glue, stick, glue, stick, glue, stick....
Then you just take your scissors and cut around the tiles. Voila! Your finished tile coaster!
I've been making these for awhile now, and my kids make them too. I don't just use them for coasters-My little harvest ones are going on my little entry table with other Fall decorations....Christopher painted this one that I have on my stove for a spoon rest...I love it! (They are not heat resistant, there is probably a spray to make them that way, but if you try to use these for hot trivets , it will just melt that spray paint!)
Bekah painted these last year, and I want to put them on the wall as a back splash, but we're renting, and I want to keep them, so they are just resting against the wall in the kitchen right below where I would have hung them.These ones I painted for my sisters cupcake kitchen awhile back, I think she attached some ribbon and hung them on the wall.

And these ones I made for my mother in law last year with the kids' "help." If you are going to use photos for coasters, I suggest printing them on regular printing paper rather than photo paper, it's just easier to get it on there, and then you don't have to ruin a photo print.There you have it, nothing new, nothing too fancy, but a great gift from you or even that kids can help make, that someone will actually really like receiving!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

What a cute idea! I love it!

Tue Nov 17, 07:47:00 AM

 
Blogger Kenner Family said...

That is such a fun cute idea, and a great christmas gift. I love your tutorials. Thanks for doing them.

Tue Nov 17, 09:11:00 AM

 
Blogger XO said...

We used cute napkin prints I found on sale at Michael's - you have cut to size and be super careful, but they adhere like a charm because they are so thin.

Great tutorial!

Tue Nov 17, 09:56:00 AM

 
Blogger Lisa C said...

I LOVE that paper you used for your tutorial. I made coasters one year using stamps, but I love the possibilities with this idea!

Wed Nov 18, 07:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Lacy said...

I've never thought of doing this. It's a great idea and seems even Lacy proof. Thanks!

Wed Nov 18, 10:14:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home