This Page

has been moved to new address

Backyard Surprises

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Backyard Surprises

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

4.26.2009

Backyard Surprises

It is no secret that we love having our HUGE backyard.
There are lots of fun spring time 'surprises' right now-like the apple blossoms... ...and the visiting birds.This is not a story about them though, this is a sappy story and life lesson I learned that I don't want to forget.
The other day, Bekah wanted to have me come outside and see the surprise she found in our backyard. I was busy doing something, but she didn't let me forget about it all day-so when I finally had a chance to go out...
....she took off on a dead run towards the back of the yard where one of the apple trees is. She started twirling all around and said, "Isn't it beautiful!?! It's like our own flower garden!" There were dandelions everywhere. She knows that they are weeds and she was quick to point that out, but she said "it looks like a flower garden, right?"
Of course it did, and it made me want to be more child like and instead of griping about the overabundance of dandelions and other weeds in our yard to see the absolute and pure beauty in things the way she does.
As I stepped back and watched my beautiful and wise daughter twirling in the weeds like she was in her own magical secret garden I was overfilled with crazy love for her and her brothers.
For the last few days I had been pondering if it would be worth it to go back to work, I haven't worked for the last year since we moved here. I worked for the last 3 years from home as an apartment manager, and even though it was working from home, it was still work-and I was not a full time stay at home mom like I am now. I just didn't have all the time I have now to give my undivided attention to my babies.
There are times, I think it would be easier to go to work and have a life outside of my mommy bubble. There are more days than not that I think how much easier it would be financially to have an extra income.
Then I stepped back and looked at the bigger picture, I could see clearly that my children have beautified my life, and this last year I have really got to spend a lot of time with them and really get to know the little people they are, and you know what I discovered? They are really cool kids, I genuinely like them and I am so grateful to have them, every moment of every day.
Lesson learned.
I need to be at home with my kids right now, no matter how tight money is.
The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but I prefer mine covered in dandelions.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Wow, how awesome are you! Thanks for the great perspective, very inspiring!

Sun Apr 26, 06:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Lisa C said...

This is a beautiful post--it actually made me tear up. What a beautiful, innocent outlook on dandelions (I hate ours, too, but I'm just grateful that's the only bad thing about our lawn).

I'm with you on being with your children. Nothing wrong with being productive, but they are little for such a short while...why miss all that special time with them? They will get busy enough when they are older.

Sun Apr 26, 07:50:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home